Warrior Adrenaline Race training : Week 2

Week 2, and I need to get things going again…

Monday 15 April 2013

I stayed up past midnight to follow the end to the Masters golf last night, so woke up feeling tired while knowing I HAD to do the Drill, or I could see another week passing me by.  For those of you who are new to my training blogs, you can find details of the Drill in one of my previous blogs here. Or if you want full descriptions of the exercises with pictures then look here, and I do an extended version which begins with 50 sit ups and 30 press ups, and continues with at least 20 repetitions of each exercise, or however many more I can manage in the time.  It was tough going, as it always should be, and felt good to be back doing it again.  I also did a minute of plank, then drove into work and followed my usual morning routine and again for those of you new to my training blogs, that is a cup of Redoxon fizzy vitamin C with zinc, a pot of Oat So Simple, a cup of milk and my supplements – Seven Seas cod liver oil with A-Z multivitamins, Seven Seas JointCare Supplex, Kwai Heartcare garlic, and Vitabiotics Wellman Sport, Wellman plus Omega 3.6.9, and Ultra Omega-3.  I brought in my running kit so that I can get back into running at lunchtime.  I need to keep in mind the bigger picture, which is the St Albans half-marathon on 9 June.  I made sure I drank water through the morning and ate a banana after 11 o’clock.  It was very overcast outside, with the sun trying its best to push through, and it felt muggy and humid.  My mouth felt dry very early on, despite the amount of water I had drunk through the morning.  The run went well enough, although it did seem more of a struggle than a smooth flowing thing, and I managed the 3 miles in 31 minutes and 02 seconds, which is a good reintroduction to lunchtime runs.  I drank a cup of milk as soon as I got in and after a shower I ate a smokey mixed bean salad from Waitrose for lunch, before eating an apple later in the afternoon.  When I got home I walked Debbie over to her choir practice, then headed over to park to see if they had any monkey bars I could use.  They did not, so I will have to look elsewhere.  I got home to find the dreadful news from the Boston marathon unfolding.  One thought which really came to my mind was that if I had been running it, that is likely when I would have been coming in…  My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have been affected in any way by this terrible act.  I ate a prawn laska soup from Waitrose for my dinner, a coconut soup with cooked rice noodles, cooked king prawns and spinach, though the largest ingredients are water and carrot.  It was very tasty.  I then walked back to meet Debbie and although it was a little colder than earlier it was still a pleasant walk to finish off the evening.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank
  3. Run (work) – 3 miles – 31 minutes 02 seconds
  4. Walk – 4.8 miles

Tuesday 16 April 2013

I woke up tired but still got straight into the Drill.  I am back into this now, and added in my plank.  I got into the office and followed my usual morning routine.  The weather was much the same as yesterday when I got out for my run at lunchtime, although the gusts of wind felt stronger, and I did another 3 miles in a slightly quicker time of 30 minutes and 35 seconds.  It was still somewhat laboured, but I can feel it coming back after my time off doing these runs.  I drank a cup of milk when I returned to the office and after my shower ate an aromatic edamame bean salad from Waitrose, which is mostly adzuki beans and edamame beans, and a yoghurt, granola and honey pot from the office canteen.  I ate an apple later in the afternoon and drank a lot more water – the so-called air conditioning in this office is useless.  My mood is not helped by some work matters.  We have a claim being brought against the company and I just received an Order from the Court.  The Order was given on 5 April and allowed us 14 days to comply.  It was typed up on 10 April, and I received it on the afternoon of 16 April, which leaves me 3 days of the original 14 in which to get some things done.  Ludicrous.  The weather was still good by the time I got home so we took a walk down to Verulamium Park, around the lake and up to the Adidas outdoor gym, where I discovered that while they do not have a set of monkey bars, they do have a couple of wariations on a pull-up bar, so I can combine using them with a run down to the park and a run back up the hill afterwards.  Debbie had baked croissants, so I ate two of them for my dinner, and then we watched Contact (the Jodie Foster movie), which meant a late night.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank
  3. Run (work) – 3 miles – 30 minutes 35 seconds
  4. Walk – 3 miles

Wednesday 17 April 2013

I woke up tired and short of time to make it into the office in time for my conference call, so I gave the Drill and plank a miss.  I will do them this evening and combine them with a run down to the park.  I followed my usual morning routine once I was in the office.  I am very busy with work this week, which is nothing new, and today I simply ran out of time to do a proper run, so I decided to work on the basis that something is better than nothing and did a quick lap of the estate.  I will do some more fitness work this evening.  I ate a couscous and olive salad from Waitrose for lunch, together with a yoghurt, granola and honey pot.  And sat here feeling very uncomfortable as I recovered from the rubbish shower we have here – it has no ventilation, so drying with a towel seems to have little effect.  I can only see it getting worse as the Spring and Summer continue.  The rubbish air conditioning in the office does not help.

  1. Run (work) – 1.5 miles – 14 minutes 23 seconds

Thursday 18 April 2013

I have to go to a company meeting today, which will prevent me from taking a lunchtime run, and I woke up too late to get in the Drill and plank as well.  Not a great start to the day.  I ate a couple of apples through the day, drank water and tea, and ate the pasta dish for lunch, avoiding pudding.  In the evening we went out to dinner with my parents at The Dumbell near Chalfont St Peter, and I had the battered onion rings to start, the battered haddock with chips and mushy peas for my main, and an Eton mess for pudding.  I think this must have been my day off.

Friday 19 April 2013

I still felt full when I woke up and avoided the Drill and plank.  I followed my usual morning routine in the office and ate a banana during the morning.  I talked about The Wolf Run as part of my French lesson and when we looked at their website I was very pleased to see that they have already sold out for the September weekend, which is great for them and very well deserved.  I am glad I signed up for it the moment I got home from running it in April.  The weather seemed more settled as I went out for my run, and although it was colder than it had been earlier in the week, the wind was not as gusty until the end of the run.  It felt like heavy going, and I am already looking forward to some more exercise over the weekend to push me on.  I had a pot of tuna and a pot of banoffee pie from the canteen, because that is what they had left, and drank a cup of milk.

  1. Run (work) – 3 miles – 29 minutes 46 seconds

Saturday 20 April 2013

One week until the Warrior Adrenaline Race.  I had to miss training with Christianne this morning, because she was launching an anti-gravity yoga class, so we decided to head off to the Breacon Beacons for a short weekend.  We booked into Nant Ddu Lodge, and decided we would do a couple of shorter walks together, and on the Sunday I would get to do a longer walk by myself.  You can read more about the Saturday here.

  1. Walk – 2.5 miles
  2. Swim, sauna, jacuzzi

Sunday 21 April 2013

I set off early to walk the 8.5 miles of the Brecon Beacons Horseshoe, which took in the peaks of Cribyn (795m), Pen y Fan (886m) and Corn Du (873m), and you can read more about that here.  I then returned to the Nant Ddu Lodge and Debbie and I took a walk in the Garwnant Forest Park, which you can read about here.

I am heading for the mountain on the left...before heading over to the higher mountain on the right

I am heading for the mountain on the left…before heading over to the higher mountain on the right

  1. Walk – 8.5 miles
  2. Walk – 2 miles

Positives from this week – I have got back into my running, I feel better, I really enjoyed the walks in the Brecon Beacons, and managed the Horseshoe in 40 minutes less than the time suggested by the guidebook.

This entry was posted in Down And Out In Dunstable. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.