St Albans Half-Marathon training : Week 1

Week 1, and I need to get back to the running training programme…

I should make it clear this is not actually my first week of training for a half-marathon which is taking place on 9 June, because that would clearly be ludicrous.  My previous training blogs relating to the Rat Run, the Wolf Run and the Warrior Adrenaline Race all form part of a 14 week running training programme for the St Albans half-marathon, and it is just that I have no further events between now and then.  So you join me at the beginning of Week 9…

Monday 29 April 2013

I woke up and did the Drill to try to ward off any ill-effects of the Warrior Adrenaline Race on Saturday, got into the office and followed my usual morning routine, and had also brought my running kit into the office with me today to see if a run could equally help ward off any effects of Saturday.  It was overcast and cold when I got outside for the run, with occasional headwinds which were also icy cold, and I was pleased enough to run the 3 miles in 30 minutes and 28 seconds, because it gives me a good base to start from for the next 6 weeks leading into the St Albans Half-Marathon on Sunday 9 June.  I drank a cup of milk when I got back into the office and after my shower ate a Waitrose smokey mixed bean salad and an Activia breakfast pot with a hint of honey and clusters.  I kept drinking water and ate an apple in the afternoon, and feel focused now.  I will be making a couple of changes this week which will certainly help the overall fitness programme, and they are changes I should have made at the beginning of the year – better late than never.  And I also got some more exercise walking to and from Debbie’s choir rehearsal, before eating an Innocent vegetable pot with an egg for dinner.

  1. The Drill
  2. Run (work) – 3 miles – 30 minutes 28 seconds
  3. Walk – 4.8 miles

Tuesday 30 April 2013

I woke up and got straight into the Drill, then did a minute of plank and a set of bicep curls with the new dumbells because Debbie had unpacked them yesterday.  I need to develop a routine I can do with them.  I also need to restock on my supplements as I am down to the multivitamins and the Wellman Sport.  I had those with a cup of milk when I arrived in the office, and ate a banana later in the morning.  The weather still has a cold edge to it, even if the sun was out this lunchtime.  I am getting back on track with the running part of my training programme for the St Albans Half-Marathon, so I needed to run 4 miles today, which I did easily enough and just about quickly enough, in just outside of 40 minutes.  I drank a cup of milk when I got in and for my lunch I ate a Waitrose refreshing (it says here) wheatberry & bean salad, followed by an Activia breakfast pot.  I felt tired during the afternoon and ate an apple.  As I push on with my fitness programme I do need to make sure I am eating and drinking sufficient to fuel what I am doing.  I had to stay later than planned at the office, so I did not make it to yoga, and that opportunity is gone for this week.  When I got home I ate another Innocent vegetable pot, again with an egg, for dinner.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank
  3. Dumbells
  4. Run (work) – 4 miles – 40 minutes 09 seconds

Wednesday 01 May 2013

I had a very full day of meetings to look forward to in the office and no guarantee I would get out for a run at lunchtime, so it was very important to get in the Drill and my minute of plank in the morning.  I followed my usual morning routine in the office and tried my best to free up sufficient time for a run, but it was not to be.  I ate a banana during the morning, and a Waitrose aromatic couscous & olive salad for lunch, with an Activia breakfast pot.

Sunny for my first session. Oh. Good.

Sunny for my first session. Oh. Good.

In the evening I headed along to Verulamium Park in St Albans for a free trial session with Regiment Fitness, the guys who had organised the excellent Warrior Adrenaline Race.  It is an hour long bootcamp session and they run it on the grass across from the end car parks at the leisure centre end of the park.  They recognised my face from facebook, which always makes me wonder if I might use that way too much, and were very welcoming as I walked over.  In fact, everyone who turned up for the evening session was welcoming and friendly, and I immediately felt at home in the group.  The sun was shining.  Oh, good.  We started with a dynamic warm up, before starting on a circuit round either an easy, medium or hard triangle.  I very wisely chose the medium, which involved 20 press ups at each point of the triangle, followed by a running lap of the triangle, and then the same with 20 sit ups, then 10 burpees, and finally 20 mountaineers.  That felt like just the sort of thing I need right now !  We had a water break before moving on to do some boxing in pairs, initially standing up and punching on the diagonal against the gloves being held up by our partner, and then the same thing from a seated position so that we did three sets with sit ups, broken up by an intense burst while seated upwards for a countdown of 10.  We had been split into two groups for that, and now we switched over to tyre relays.  Again in pairs, we first ran to a line and back with a tyre held over our heads, swapped with our partner and then repeated; and then the same thing but this time rolling the tyre to the line and carrying it back again; and then finally just sprints without the tyre.  We finished off with a series of squats as we waited for the other group to finish, and then carried the tyres over to the van and helped load them in.  It reminds me of when I used to do football coaching and made sure the last part of every exercise involved getting the players to collect up the equipment.  We finished off with a dynamic warm-down, and I signed up on a monthly basis.  I will definitely be going along to as many Wednesday sessions as possible, will also see if I can get to some of the Sunday sessions in St Albans, and their other sessions in different locations are also open to me.

I got home and ate an egg and some chicken.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank
  3. Training – 1 hour

Thursday 02 May 2013

I was tired this morning and behind on time so I restricted myself to 50 sit ups and 30 press ups, just to get myself going.  I followed my usual morning routine in the office and the sun was shining through blue skies by the time I got out for my run.  I have not done very much running in the sun since I started running again last November, so it takes a bit of getting used to, and I was thankful I had drunk a lot of water through the morning.  I need to be pushing the distances right now, so was pleased to run 4.5 miles in 45 minutes and 49 seconds.  I drank a cup of milk when I got back into the office and ate a Waitrose aromatic edamame bean salad for lunch, with an Activia breakfast pot.  In the evening I drove over to Leamington Spa to see Pendragon, which meant standing up from 7 til 11 – I am pretty sure that must count as exercise !

  1. Sit ups
  2. Press ups
  3. Run (work) – 4.5 miles – 45 minutes 49 seconds

Friday 03 May 2013

I am working from home today so that we can drive up to Derby for the weekend without hitting the traffic.  If only the work would stop…  I had intended to go for a run before setting off, but that did not prove to be possible because we were going to be leaving later than planned even without me adding in another aspect.  Anyway, we eventually got up there and in the evening we went out for a Thai meal.

Saturday 04 May 2013

We spent the day taking a walk through Bakewell, Chatsworth Park and down to the River Wye, which included a trip around the inside of Chatsworth House, and you can read about that here, and see some photos here and here.  It certainly felt longer than the stated 9 and a quarter miles.

  1. Walk – 9 and a quarter miles

Sunday 05 May 2013

We took a trip to the Heights Of Abraham in the morning, and in the afternoon I took a walk across Stanton Moor, which you can read about here.  You can see the photos from the morning here, and from the afternoon here.

  1. Walks – 5 miles

Positives from this week – I really got back into my running, the session with Regiment Fitness felt perfect for me, and the walks at the weekend were mostly in the sun.  Looking forward to next week !

This entry was posted in St Albans Half-Marathon 2013. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.