St Albans Half-Marathon training : Week 2

Week 2, and after a relaxing Bank Holiday weekend I need to get a long run in…

Monday 06 May 2013

It was the last day of the Bank Holiday weekend and we had to leave our guesthouse by 10am, so we drove down to the Peak Rail, parked up and walked down the lane alongside the track until we reached the Church Lane crossing, and then turned around and walked back it again.  It was a very lovely walk in the sun !  You can see photos from the Peak Rail here.  Our plan for the day was to visit Haddon Hall, and this meant using up some time because it did not open until midday.  The queuing traffic helped use up most of that time, and then we enjoyed a hot drink and a slice of cake from Haddon Hall’s restaurant while we sat in the sun and waited for the gates to swing wide and allow us in.  It was a fascinating walk round and you can see the photos here.

Tuesday 07 May 2013

I restocked on my supplements so I had those with a cup of fizzy vitamin C and a cup of milk when I arrived in the office, and ate a banana later in the morning, before going for a run in the hot sun, which does take some getting used to.  I drank a cup of milk when I got back into the office and ate a Waitrose roasted vegetable couscous for lunch, with an Activia breakfast pot.  I am feeling tired, but better for having gone for the run.  In the evening I ate a sweet potato laksa soup.

  1. Run (work) – 3 miles – 29 minutes 59 seconds

Wednesday 08 May 2013

I was meant to be going to a seminar in London in the morning but had too much actual work to do, so found that occupying my day instead.  I did not manage to do any exercise during the day and snacked on granola.  Thankfully I had my bootcamp session with Regiment Fitness in the evening, and I ran/walked down to that.  It was a different pair of instructors and they varied the session, which is always good for me.

There was a big group in attendance and we started off with a dynamic warm-up, featuring many changes of directions and movements involving all parts of the body, plus some counting, which is always an added challenge during exercise.  The circuits this week involved sprinting to a line, carrying out first 30 then 20 and then 10 reps of each exercise, with sprinting back to the start and then back to the line inbetween.  We began with press-ups, then sit-ups, squats, mountaineers, then straight sprints without any exercise (which I think lulled everyone into a false sense that the circuit was ending), before we pushed into burpees and finished it all off with a minute of rolling plank, moving up and down on our hands.  We split into two groups and the one I was in took on the boxing, standing in an inner and outer circle, with straight arm punching first and then upper cuts, moving round to the left for the first circuit and then to the right for the second.  My partner was the instructor so at the end of each circuit I got an extra go at the longest length of exercise.  Great.  Our group moved on to tyre pull and jerry can carrying relays, which was good fun, before the two groups came together for a gentle warm down.  It was another excellent session, and I could feel it as I walked home.  My shoulders had certainly been worked.

I ate an Innocent vegetable pot when I got home, and I feel so much better now than I have through the early part of the week.

  1. Training – 1 hour

Thursday 09 May 2013

I woke up and got straight into the Drill and a minute of plank.  I need to build on the plank time again.  I was far too busy at work to get out for a run and also got home too late to do one.  I ate a salad for lunch with an Activia pot, and in the evening ate a sweet potato laksa soup.

  1. Drill
  2. Plank

Friday 10 May 2013

I am working from home today because I need to get into London in the early evening, and am hoping to get out for a run around lunchtime.  I got in the Drill and a minute of plank, anyway, and I am feeling really good as we approach the weekend.  And then work gets busy and the idea of a run goes out of the window again, and the very thought of managing a long run this week is looking crazy.  Just to add to that, in the evening I was out for a curry, although it was with a most excellent bunch of people, and you can read all about it here and see the photos here.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank

Saturday 11 May 2013

I woke up and made sure I did the Drill and a minute of plank, because I was going to the Celebr8.2 progressive rock music festival and while that would involve some walking and a lot of standing, I was not going to get any more proper exercise in today.  Although I did not eat much either, so that balances out, in some way.  You can read about my first day at Celebr8.2 here.

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank

Sunday 12 May 2013

I did my Drill and plank again when I woke up and then we went for a short walk around St Albans, which was lovely in the sun.  Then I was off for more standing up and not eating at Celebr8.2

  1. The Drill
  2. Plank
  3. Walk

Positives from this week – despite only managing to get in one run I do feel fitter.

This entry was posted in St Albans Half-Marathon 2013. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.