Wolf Run (September) training : Week 3

Week 3, and I have a feeling that my business trip to Paris will get in the way…

Monday 24 June 2013

I was going over to Paris by the Eurostar in the afternoon and did wonder about getting along to a Regiment Fitness session in the morning but never had sufficient time available to do that.  I did make sure I got in two minutes of plank when I woke up, though.  The rest of my day was spent trying to get some work matters finished off before I left, travelling, eating dinner at the hotel and going to sleep far too late after trying to get some more work done.  I managed to not eat too much for dinner.

  1. Plank

Tuesday 25 June 2013

I did two minutes of plank again this morning, but the hotel room floor was not suitable for either the Drill or anything else.  The breakfast buffet was good, and was followed by more breakfast at the office, then a lunchtime meal away from the office, and more snacks in the afternoon, which hardly anyone ate because we had already eaten more than enough through the day, and were due to be going for a meal on a boat trip on the Seine in the evening.  I should write another blog about that.  We had moved to a different hotel and I did 100 sit ups before going to bed.

  1. Plank
  2. Sit ups

Wednesday 26 June 2013

I woke up and did two minutes of plank and another 100 sit ups.  It made me remember that back in 2011 I was doing 1000 sit ups each day.  The food was all buffet in the office today and I made sure I did not eat too much.  My journey back on the Eurostar was fun, only because I happened to meet a friend of mine, James Hendry, on it and you should really go and check out his blog here.

  1. Plank
  2. Sit ups

Thursday 27 June 2013

I woke up feeling tired, so I skipped the Drill and did a minute of plank.  I had a pot of Oat So Simple left in the office from last week, so ate that with a glass of milk in the morning.  I did not have a lot of time available, so just put in one lap at lunchtime to stretch me out after the last three days.  I did not have any food with me, so bought the usual pots from the canteen – tuna, cheese and yoghurt with granola and honey.  I also ate a couple of apples through the afternoon.  I kept drinking water through the afternoon as well.

Regiment Fitness is a current fixture in my Thursday agenda because Debbie has rehearsals nearby and there was another big group at Welwyn this evening, despite the weather.  The rain fell gently throughout.  We started with a Simon Says warm up which finished with the numbers game where you have to get into groups of the number called out, and I clearly have no friends and get two forfeits of ten press ups for not being in a correct group.  We moved on to a circuit I recognised, but this time doing it across the field rather than up it.  This is the one based around five poles leading across the field to the other side.  The idea is to do 5 repetitions of each exercise at the first pole, 10 at the second, 15 at the third, 20 at the fourth, 25 at the fifth, and then run back to the beginning.  The first exercise was press ups, then sit ups, then mountaineers, then burpees building up in 5s at each pole.  We split into two groups and I had boxing first, starting with hooks, then sitting on the ground and punching upwards, then getting us into an inner and outer circle for straight punching, with the outer circle moving from one partner to the next.  It was a tough workout.  We moved to the other group and in teams of three we did shoulder presses while holding a log, first 30 and then I did 50, and finally 100, with runs inbetween.  We finished off with a series of tug of wars, before the warm down.  I felt really good after the session.  I got home and ate an Innocent vegetable pot with a boiled egg.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (work) – 1.5 miles – 14 minutes 20 seconds
  3. Training – 1 hour

Friday 28 June 2013

I did two minutes of plank before heading off to a Court hearing in Medway.  The other side of the M25 had a long tailback after an accident and I hoped it would have cleared by the time I was driving back that way.  My hopes were dashed when I got to the Court and was told the hearing would not be going ahead, so I found myself driving back to the gridlock and having to divert through the back roads to avoid it.  All in all it left me tired and without any motivation to do anything but relax in the evening.

  1. Plank

Saturday 29 June 2013

I had training with Christianne this morning and we discussed my nutrition.  I will be providing her with a full food diary over the next few days so that she can consider what I am eating and whether I am eating sufficient for the exercise I am currently doing.  We also agreed that we would get back to measuring my body fat, and this morning it was 20.3%, which I must say is a little disappointing considering the advances I have made with my overall fitness in recent weeks.  The key to this may well be my nutrition, because my body may be retaining fat against me not taking in sufficient carbs for the exercise I am doing.  We shall see.  We shall also see how I fare next Saturday because Christianne will be away and her husband, Robbie, will be taking my session instead, and I do not have a half-marathon the day after to make him have to go easy on me.

In the afternoon we took a walk out in the sun around Hambleden and you can read about that here.  In the evening I had a couple of hard boiled eggs and some avocado.

We were too late to save him...

We were too late to save him…

  1. Training – 1 hour
  2. Walk – 3.5 miles

Sunday 30 June 2013

It was a tough session for me this morning with Regiment Fitness in St Albans.  I ate some muesli before running the mile to get down there, and drank some of my water with High5 Zero tablets in it.  There was a very good sized group for a Sunday morning, including a number of new faces, and the sun was out but it was not too hot just yet.  We started with a running warm up which included squatting in pairs and lots of rolling around on the ground, and then moved on to the circuit.  It was going to be a running circuit, working on a cardio-vascular level, running from a start post out to each of five other posts and back again, carrying out the exercise at each of the far posts.  There were an easy and a hard starting post, and I went from the hard one.  We started with 5 squats, then 10 crunchies, then 10 press ups, and finished with bastard burpees, with 2 at the first post and then increasing by another 2 at each subsequent post.  By the time I got to the press ups I was feeling dizzy and knew I could not keep up with the amount of running required by the hard version, so I took deep breaths, kept up with the reps, was careful getting up from the exercises and moved down to the easy running distance.  It all felt like my low blood pressure kicking in, which was a nuisance given that I had eaten this morning, so at the end of the circuit I drank some of my water and that left me feeling much better.  It is definitely worth mentioning that the guys from Regiment Fitness kept asking me if I was ok as the circuit progressed, and I kept telling them that I was.  We split into two groups and I moved on to the boxing, which we did in pairs.  We started with straight punching from the sit up position, doing singles and a couple of sets of 10 seconds (although the seconds always seem so long…), and then moved on to working in the standing position and moving down from sets of 10 straight punches to 1, with a run to the edge of the field and back inbetween, while our partner did a squat.  I decided it would be wise to give the runs a miss and did squats instead, working down from 10 to 1, and did five squats while my partner was doing her runs.  We swapped groups and I moved on to another mini-circuit involving the log, where we worked in groups of three.  One of us would be running out to an orange pole and back, and then a further pole and back, while another of us would be doing the plank, and the third would be doing squats while holding the end of the log and using it to push against.  I apologised in advance to my partners for the length of time it would take me to do the running.  We then did a variation on the theme, with shoulder presses of the log instead of squats, and I really did feel them when I got back from my run, not like the evening sessions over in Welwyn where I have been almost breezing through them recently.  There was still more to come and we finished the main part of the session with jerry can relays, carrying two jerry cans three times.  I seemed to have got my breath back and was able to push on with that no problem, and it brought my session to a good end, which is always a nice feeling and a preferable way to end.  The warm down was fun today, doing a lot of it in pairs, and I was happy walking home after it.

We went shopping to Waitrose when I got home and bought quite a lot of the Vita Coco natural coconut water among other things, and I spent a lot of my afternoon drinking that after my morning exertions, and eating fruit, including a portion of melon medley which was very refreshing.  In the evening I had an Italian bean soup with some king prawns and two hard boiled eggs.

  1. Run (home) – 1 mile
  2. Training – 1 hour

Positives from this week – I did not get too much running done this week but I feel like everything is coming together.  I feel like I am getting into a rhythm with the Regiment Fitness bootcamp sessions, and I have a focus with my sessions with Christianne, and all of that is going to help me over the coming weeks.  I sometimes forget just how far I have come since I started running seriously in November 2011.  Sometimes it is worth remembering.

This entry was posted in Run With The Wolf. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.