Winter Wolf Run training : Week 5

Week 5, and I have the Herts 10k to run at the end of the week…

Monday 07 October 2013

Get stronger.  Try again.  Thrive

I was not feeling great when I woke up so I decided to work from home.  I still did two minutes of plank to see if that would make me feel any better, and drank a lot of water through the morning.  The weather was overcast and not too bad for running around lunchtime so I decided to get outside.  The running exercise I was about to do is intended raise my VO2 max (my maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake, or aerobic capacity) and I had started doing it last week.  I would run for 5 minutes to warm up, then run three repetitions of 30 seconds hard followed by 30 seconds recovery, then run two repetitions of 1 minute hard followed by 1 minute recovery, and finally run another three repetitions of 30 seconds hard followed by 30 seconds recovery.  On the big lap at home I got round to the bottom of the hill on the Hatfield Road, and I will use that as my marker for the future.

We ate a delicious evening meal of spicy cajun chicken quinoa.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (home) – VO2 max

Tuesday 08 October 2013

I was back in the office today and I had to make sure I got out for a run even though I was still feeling a little grotty.  I made sure I did two minutes of plank before I left the house.  I ate my pot of Oat So Simple (golden syrup flavour) and drank my milk and water, and made sure I continued to drink water, before I went out at lunchtime for my run.  It was overcast when I got outside.  Today I was doing an Interval Workout, which should be six sets of 800 metres at 10km pace, each followed by 400 metres at a jog.  I have no idea how far 800 metres or 400 metres are on my route, so I decided to run 3 minutes of warm up followed by six sets of 2 minutes at full pace, with a minute after each at a recovery pace.  Doing that I managed to complete one big lap and got to the bus stop just past the cycle path logo painted on the pavement by the main road on my smaller lap.  It felt tough and I do wonder if I am fighting off a cold at the moment.  I ate a roasted vegetable couscous for lunch with some walnuts and an apple.  I needed to swear a Statutory Declaration during the day so I walked there and back to do that, which was nice because the sun had come out.

The M1 was terrible and as I ate my banana I did wonder if I would make it to Regiment Fitness in Welwyn on time.  I would not want to turn up late because starting a session with extra burpees is not my idea of fun.  Having said that, maybe Regiment Fitness bootcamp sessions are not your idea of fun.  This evening’s session was being taken by Tom and mad Steve, and my regular readers will know I like that combination.  It was a running on the spot warm which finished with ten seconds of press ups, sit ups, plank and sprints, before we were sent off to the trees in the gloomy far distance and back.  We had the triangle circuit this evening and I decided to go for the big triangle for the running.  I have been doing the top level of repetitions for some time now and need to get my running up to that level.  We would do 30 repetitions of each exercise at each pole and then sprint a lap of the poles.  The exercises were press ups, sit ups, squat jumps and burpees.  We did 20 repetitions for the burpees and finished off with two laps running.  Kelly had the brilliant idea during the sit up lap to link legs, so I ended up doing full sit ups with no opportunity to skimp on them !  I was feeling good after that, even though the speed of my sprints had gradually dropped as the circuit continued.  We split into two groups and I started with boxing, which was very straightforward tonight – one minute on and one minute off, repeated three times, doing straight punches, then upper cuts, and finally hooks.  My partner really pushed me and had his hands up very high for the upper cuts, and that was good because I like to be pushed with the boxing.  We swapped groups and got into threes for 4 jerry can shuttles, before splitting into three teams and getting into lines to pass a medicine ball over our heads until we reached a far yellow pole, then the same thing with the medicine ball going between our legs, and finally the same thing with the medicine ball alternating between over the head and between the legs.  The team I was in won all three races and we got a forfeit of five squats for our trouble.  We were sent off for another run to the trees at the far end which I could not see, and had a nice stretch warm down when we got back, which brought another excellent session to a close.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (work) – 6 x 800 Interval Workout
  3. Walk – 1 mile
  4. Training – 1 hour

Wednesday 09 October 2013

Another two minutes of plank to start my day, which I really needed because my back is aching.  Once again I am wondering if I am fighting off a cold at the moment.  I was in the office and followed my usual morning routine and got myself ready for a lunchtime run.  My pot of Oat So Simple was sweet cinnamon flavour and I also drank a cup of milk and my fizzy vitamin C.  I will make sure I drink a lot of water today, and might have some more vitamin C later on.  I ate a banana later in the morning and kept drinking water before going out into the overcast day for my lunchtime run.  Today I was doing a Fartlek run of 40 minutes and it was overcast, dry, cold and windy.  The run went very well and I completed three big laps and got down to the bottom of the driveway, which in total is around 4.5 miles and further than I managed with my Fartlek run last week.  I drank some milk as soon as I got back into the office and ate a wheatberry and bean salad with some cashew nuts.  I ate a Berry Cheeky nakd bar during the afternoon and kept drinking water.

I ate an apple and cachew nuts as I drove to St Albans for my evening session with Regiment Fitness.  It was freezing when I got out of the car, and even colder as the wind built up into a frenzy while I walked over the grass to the Regiment Fitness van.  I may have to start wearing something with long sleeves soon if the weather continues like this in the evenings.  Steve was taking the session and we very quickly warmed up on the spot with lots of quick, dynamic movements, although I did have a slight scare when moving from hopping on my left foot to hopping on my right I felt a twinge behind my ankle.  I have no idea what that was, but I took it slightly easy and could not feel anything more.  Then it was a run over to the second bench for those who wanted to push it, and I managed that fine.  The circuit layout was straight forward, running out to the first pole, doing 10 repetitions then running back; running out to the second pole, doing 10 repetitions then running back; and running out to the third pole, doing 10 repetitions then running back.  The exercises were press ups, sit ups, squats, lunges, leg raises and a couple of sprints with no exercise at each pole, and we finished off with one of the sprints.  And at the end there was a run to the second bench with 10 press ups once we were there to push it.  We got into pairs for the boxing and started with bursts of straight arm punching while standing up, then did some bursts from the sit up position, before finishing with much slower movements in the sit up position to really work the core.  Then we had another run to the second bench and back, before we all set off for a little run around the park.  We stopped to do 20 leg raises in pairs before running on a little further, then getting into pairs again for five sprint shuttles.  Now, that was no problem for my partner, and she may even have laughed when I almost skidded to the ground as I turned from the first sprint, but after the sprints we moved on to a dead man drag, which meant she had to drag the best part of 100kg.  I definitely got the easy part of that deal as I overtook others dragging her back.  Now we only had to sprint back to the Regiment Fitness van.  But with a few twists as Steve added some commands so that if we heard “sniper left” we would fall to the ground and roll to our left, or “enemy” would have us on the ground again doing a leopard crawl, or “casualty” would have us doing another dead man drag.  It all adds to the fun and I cannot imagine why anyone would choose going to the gym over this.  Once we got back to the van there was still enough time for anyone who wanted to have a go on the pain station – the tug of war rope wrapped around a tree, and you grab both ends and whip them up and down for 20 seconds.  That is certainly one way to end an absolutely brilliant session !  The warm down brought an excellent session to a close.  I really enjoyed that !

I got home and ate an Innocent vegetable pot and two boiled eggs.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (work) – Fartlek
  3. Training – 1 hour

Thursday 10 October 2013

I was at a work conference at Silverstone during the day, and driving to the parking near to The Wing reminded me of the Silverstone Half-Marathon and just how long it had been when I ran it earlier this year.  That seems so long ago now, and you can still read about it here.  I will be running it again next year and fully expect to smash my time.  Disaster struck as I was leaving because the clutch broke in my car, so I had to be towed home by the AA (who were beyond excellent, by the way) and did nothing else that evening.

  1. Plank

Friday 11 October 2013

I woke up and did two minutes of plank before walking out of town to pick up a hire car.  I did not really feel like doing much else beyond that and was just careful with my eating, with an eye on my run on Sunday.

  1. Plank
  2. Walk

Saturday 12 October 2013

I woke up late and rushed over to training with Christianne.  We were not in her usual gym this morning, but using one of the outhouses at her parents’ house, next door to the building where we used to train.  It was basic and I have to say it felt good.  I warmed up and then we decided to do a tabata, using a device which I held above my head and pulled apart, burpees, tricep dips, lunges, press ups, star jumps, a hula hoop and running on the spot.  The hula hoop had nodules on the inside which are meant to help break down the fat.  It says everything about my skill with a hula hoop that all they did to me was bruise my shins.  Christianne took me by surprise by saying it was four repetitions of the circuit rather than three, and I was properly worked and sweaty by the end of it.  That was fun.

I drove the children over to their drama class, and while they were doing that I took a walk around the town to keep myself stretched and loose.  We took another walk to the shops when I got home.  I was also careful with my eating, and I feel ready for the run tomorrow.  I was thinking earlier, I am not the best runner or the fastest runner, but I am a better runner and a faster runner than I was this time last year, and running 10k holds no fear for me.  I will do it.  It is just a matter of in what time.

  1. Training
  2. Walk

Sunday 13 October 2013 – Race Day !

My running training plan for this week required a 6 mile run, so running the Herts 10k Challenge will do just fine.  I will tell you all about that in a separate blog which you can read here.

Pleased enough with that performance

Pleased enough with that performance

  1. Run (Harpenden) – 10k

Positives from this week – I ran the 10k in just over an hour and my running continues to improve.

This entry was posted in Run With The Wolf. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.