Winter Wolf Run training : Week 6

Week 6, and I need to keep things going after the Herts 10k…

Monday 14 October 2013

I was feeling good after running the Herts 10k, with no injuries or ill-effects or fatigue, but I had to return the hire car, so that left me unable to travel to training.  I did have to walk back from dropping off the car, but it started raining as I was about to go for a run and after the weather yesterday I simply did not feel like going through that again, so I gave it a miss.

  1. Walk

Tuesday 15 October 2013

I had to collect my car and the only way I was going to be able to get from St Albans to Chipperfield was by foot, so I decided to run it.  You can read more about that here.

A longer run that I thought it was going to be...

A longer run that I thought it was going to be…

I had my car back and so was able to get across to the early Regiment Fitness session in Welwyn at 6 o’clock.  The session was being taken by Tom and Steve, and after the very active warm up it was the gate circuit, using press ups, sit ups and burpees as the exercises, and running more laps than I care to remember.  The gate circuit is always tough but I am getting better at it and finding that running the laps is coming together slowly but surely.  We split into two groups and I started off with the running one, doing more laps while the other person in a pair did upward rows with a jerry can, and then jumped from one squat to another over the jerry can, and finally we did lunges while carrying the jerry can.  I was glad to get on to the boxing and felt very good going into the warm down after another excellent session.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (home) – 10 miles
  3. Training – 1 hour

Wednesday 16 October 2013

I was working from home and just had too much to do beyond two minutes of plank in the morning.

  1. Plank

Thursday 17 October 2013

I was back in the office and ate some rude health muesli with a cup of milk, to prepare myself for my lunchtime run.  Today was my VO2 max training, and I covered the same distance as my previous time on the work route.  I drank some more milk after that and ate some nakd bars and cashew nuts.

I ate some more cashew nuts and an apple during my drive down to Welwyn for my evening session with Regiment Fitness.  It was very dark when I got there and I wondered if I was missing something because the way the poles were set out did not look like a familiar circuit.  We were being worked by Tom and Steve and during the very active warm up they told us we would be doing a new circuit which Steve had devised, and I have to say it turned out to be brilliant.  We would be working at each pole, doing 10 repetitions of the exercise then moving on to the next pole and doing another 10 repetitions, and so on until we had worked at all four poles, after which we would run back to the beginning and continue with the same exercise until we had spent five minutes doing that.  We did press ups, sit ups and squats, before finishing off with sprinting on the spot mixed up with some bursts of press ups, sit ups and plank.  In all we were fully active for 20 minutes, which is just what you need on these Autumn evenings.  We split into our two groups and I started with the boxing, working in two circles doing straight arm punching and moving from one partner to another.  Then we switched and we had a shuttle running exercise in pairs.  One of us would run back and forth while the other did ten chest presses with the medicine ball before running his own shuttle and repeating.  It was a lot of running, and to finish it all off we ran shuttles on the tarmac for a couple of minutes.  It really was a matter of pushing yourself to your own limit.  There was still more to come, though, as we finished with Tommo’s bleep test, which he had set up with two distances.  I went for the longer distance and must say I was surprised to see some of the people who chose to go for the shorter distance.  It was no wonder they lasted for a longer time.  The whole session had been hard and very rewarding and I felt good as I warmed down.

  1. Plank
  2. Run (work) – VO2 Max
  3. Training – 1 hour

Friday 18 October 2013

I was busy working from home again and did two minutes of plank and nothing else before we headed off to London for one of Debbie’s concerts, which meant we walked from Blackfriars to Waterloo and back again, with me carrying the bassoon.

  1. Plank
  2. Walk

Saturday 19 October 2013

I woke up later than planned and rushed over to meet up with Christianne.  I do need to sort this out and start getting to her on time.  We had a very good session working on my core and using weights for some upper body work.  I certainly feel stronger and thinner at the moment.  Which made it all the more remarkable that my body fat percentage has remained exactly the same.  I will just have to keep working on it.

I went to a gig in London in the evening and thanks to the rail network being shut down in places I ended up walking from St Pancras to Angel and back again, which I did not mind in the slightest.  It was a great gig, too, and you can read about it here.



  1. Training
  2. Walk

Sunday 20 October 2013

I went with Debbie down to Waterloo again, which meant walking from Blackfriars with her bassoon, but I did not stay for her concert this time and instead walked over to Covent Garden to meet up with some friends as I had my own concert to get to at the Royal Albert Hall, which you can read about here.

In full flow...

In full flow…

  1. Walk

Positives from this week – I kept things ticking over and certainly feel thinner.

This entry was posted in Run With The Wolf. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.