Paras’ 10 training : Week 2

Week 2, and time to get some more runs in…

This week’s training blog is brought to you by Ren & Stimpy, for reasons which will become apparent when you get to the entry for Saturday.  Happy happy, joy joy.

Happy happy, joy joy !!!

Happy happy, joy joy !!!

Monday 10 March 2014

I woke up feeling tired and stuffed, which is not a good feeling.  This week I need to work on getting to bed before midnight.  I also noticed that the sunny weather on Sunday had brought me some insect bites around my right knee.  Typical.  I did my plank and squats, and that needs to include press ups and be a constant from now on.  I ate a bowl of rude health The Ultimate muesli to which I added flaxseed, hemp, chia and spirulina, and drank some water, and then drove over to Harpenden for the morning Regiment Fitness session with Coxy.  I ate a banana as I drove over and although there was heavy traffic going into Harpenden, I managed to arrive in good time.  I was looking forward to this because you always get a good session with Coxy and he knows how to push me.  We began with a running warm up around a square of poles which culminated with interval sprints, first sprinting one side and running three, then sprinting two sides and running two, and finally sprinting three sides and running one.  That was definitely not the end of the running for this session, though.  The circuit was a new one for me as he got us into three groups, lined up at a cone and facing a near pole and a far pole.  The idea was that the group would do an exercise as the person at the back of the line ran out to the near pole and then rejoined the group at the front, with that repeating until we had reached the near pole.  We would then run daisy-chain shuttles to the far pole, with those not running doing another exercise while the shuttles continue.  We started with press ups as the exercise, doing normal ones, then close hand ones, and finally wide hand ones, and during the daisy-chain we did sit ups.  Then we did squat jumps, and during the daisy-chain we did mountaineers.  I was the last person in the daisy-chain so I really pushed it on that final run, sprinting in to the group.  Then we finished with leg raises, and burpees during the daisy-chain, with our group getting an extra ten burpees at the end to push it that bit more.  It is quite amazing to think back to when I started with Regiment Fitness less than a year ago and how few burpees I could do then.  We continued with boxing in pairs, doing five lots of 50 straight arm punches with a run to a set of eight tyres for us to tiptoe through.  Then we stayed in pairs for sit ups with a straight punch over a specified period of time, and our partner decided how many punches we should do as we came up.  There was a push with a run to the goalposts and back with our gloves on before we moved on to a little game which reminded me of something I knew as Robin Hood when I was doing football coaching.  We were split into four teams at the corners of a square with a pile of cones in the middle of the square, and the idea was to run into the middle, retrieve a cone, and the team with the most cones on their pole once they had all been taken from the middle would win, and the losers would get a forfeit.  Coxy told us the forfeit in advance, and, on the basis that we were all likely to ‘lose’, I did suggest to my team we would be better off sitting down and recovering for the time it took the others to retrieve all the cones.  We took a full part in the exercise in any event, and possibly because we may have picked up more than one cone at once on occasion, or possibly because during one of my runs into the middle I managed to block off a runner from another team, or possibly because during another of my runs into the middle my trailing leg dragged a number of cones nearer to our pole on my way back, we ended up as joint winners with a team who must surely have cheated to have got as many cones as us.  Coxy decided that we would all do the forfeit, so we did a leopard crawl along one side of the square, lunges along the next, bunny hops (or power jumps, if you prefer) along the next, and burpees with a power jump to bring us back to the beginning of the square.  The warm down brought another inventive and excellent session to a close.

I got home, recovered, and went out for my run.  Today was my VO2 max training, where I run for 5 minutes to warm up, then run three repetitions of 30 seconds hard, each time followed by 30 seconds recovery, then run two repetitions of 1 minute hard, again both times followed by 1 minute recovery, and finally run another three repetitions of 30 seconds hard, again each time followed by 30 seconds recovery.  The weather was mild, and I came past the traffic lights at the crossroads, on to the road to the left, past The Breakfast Club cafe, and continued on to the block of apartments on the right hand side of the road which is where I had got to on my last home VO2 max run, which was slightly disappointing because it had not improved, but also reassuring that I had not regressed.  I do feel like the taper into a race and what I do for exercise in the few days afterwards is hitting my running performance when I get back to it, so I need to think about that.

In the evening I went into London for a Bad Elephant Music curry, which you can read about here.

Just sign the contract...

Just sign the contract…

  1. Plank – 120 seconds
  2. Squats – 100
  3. Regiment Fitness – 1 hour
  4. Run (home) – VO2 Max

Tuesday 11 March 2014

I woke up tired and got the train into London for a morning meeting.  I drank a couple of berry smoothies while I was there.  Time constraints caused by work meant I could not do anything else during the day.

I ate a banana as I drove to Welwyn Garden City for the early Regiment Fitness session taken by Tom and Richard.  The weather was dry again and not too cold, the ground was firm, and it was still light.  Is it too much to hope that Spring may well still be on its way ?  We got going with a running on the spot warm up which included a few runs over to the goalposts and back, before I finished off with a run to the car park and back.  I was pushing things tonight.  We continued with an upper body circuit based around a square, with us lining up on the four sides to do a different exercise on each, except that came with a twist tonight because apart from the one side where we did sprint shuttle runs, the others were all variations on press ups.  So for the first round we did a minute each of normal press ups, close hand press ups and holding the press up position, and for the second round we did wide arm press ups, press ups with one arm wide, and then press ups with the other arm wide, before we all came together to do 50 press ups and then had a run to the car park and back.  That was quite a lot of press ups.  We moved on to boxing with Richard, forming two circles so that we could go round from one partner to the next doing straight punches, before we got into pairs to do upward punches from a sitting position.  And because we clearly had not done enough upper body work yet, we then moved on to Tom for three repetitions of 50 chest presses with the log, with shuttle runs inbetween, and four shuttle runs with a tyre, stopping at one end to do 20 shoulder presses with the tyre before running back.  I was working with Stu and because that was clearly not hard enough in itself, we also added resistance to the log presses.  We took a run over to the far goalpost and back but the session was not quite over because Tom got us all into a circle for some final press ups on his command.  And now we were all finished off.  The warm down closed out an excellent upper body workout.

I got home to kale and butternut squash lasagne, which was delicious.

  1. Regiment Fitness – 1 hour

Wednesday 12 March 2014

I woke up still feeling tired but managed to get my plank, squats and press ups done.  Like I needed more press ups after yesterday evening !  I am now making sure that my hands touch the floor when I squat, which ensures I am going low enough.  I wanted to get out for a run today but the time I had to spend on work just did not allow it.

I ran down to the evening Regiment Fitness bootcamp in St Albans, and saw it was being taken by Liam.  We started with a running on the spot warm up while trying to guess what age Sarah will be on her birthday tomorrow, although it all took a rather sinister turn as Liam started adding up all the answers to come up with the number of burpees we would do this evening.  He changed it to squats but it was still a number over 350.  We got some squats in the warm up, and also some press ups, and then we were off for a run to the bench and back.  It was a straight circuit, going out to three poles, and I was taking the hard option.  We would go out to each pole and do 30 repetitions before coming back to the start and going out to the next pole.  The first exercise was squats; then we went out and back to the poles with walking lunges, and did squats again; then we did sit ups; and finally press ups (because I needed more press ups after yesterday evening).  And, of course, there was a run over to the bench and back before we moved on to the boxing.  We worked in pairs, doing timed sets, starting with hooks, then doing straight punches as we came out of a squat position, and finishing with full on straight punches for a minute.  And, of course, there was a run over to the bench and back before we moved on to the tyre and the log.  One of us would carry the tyre out to the pole by walking lunges, then run back, and while they were doing that the other would be squatting with the log, and we did that twice each.  We were not finished with the log yet, and nor were we finished with squats, because now we had to run out to each pole and back carrying the log under our arms, and at each pole we did 20 squats, before we finished by running the logs back to the van.  This evening had been an excellent workout for my legs and I felt good.  We warmed down, and after a quick chat with Liam I walked back across the park, and then ran up the hill before walking home.

  1. Plank – 120 seconds
  2. Squats – 100
  3. Press ups – 4 x 32
  4. Run (home) – 1 mile
  5. Regiment Fitness – 1 hour

Thursday 13 March 2014

I did my plank (extending the time) before leaving the house, ate an apple as I drove into the office and took my Wellman Sport tablet and multivitamin with my fizzy vitamin C.  I ate some dates through the morning and drank more water, before eating my The Ultimate muesli from Rude Health -which is the one which includes oats, rye flakes, raisins, sultanas, barley flakes, apricots, almonds, brazil nuts, dates, golden linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, quinoa flakes, apple, buckwheat flakes, goji berries, hazlenuts, puffed rice, blueberries, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and cinnamon, to which I added my usual hemp, flaxseed, chia and spirulina, also adding green tea as the liquid.  Today I was doing an Interval Workout, which would be six sets of 800 metres at 5km pace, each followed by 400 metres at 10km pace.  I ran 3 minutes of warm up followed by six sets of 2 minutes at the full pace, with a minute after each at the recovery pace.  Doing that in the overcast conditions now that the fog had gone I managed to complete one big lap and got round to the far side of the NDG garage on the main road on the small lap, which is further than the last time I ran this Interval Workout, before I continued on to finish 2.5 miles in 21 minutes and 59 seconds, which is almost a minute faster than the last time I ran this Interval Workout, so I am very pleased with that.  I was using Strava for the first time with this run and it tells me I ran 4.1km (which is actually 2.54762189 miles), doing the first km in 4:59, the second in 5:38, the third in 5:18 and the fourth in 5:26.  I got back into the office and ate a couple of dates, did some squats and took my shower, then through the afternoon ate some dates, walnuts, brazil nuts and a tomato while drinking water.

We went to the cinema to see The Wolf Of Wall Street in the evening, so I ate popcorn.

  1. Plank – 150 seconds
  2. Run (work) – 6 x 800 Interval Workout
  3. Squats – 50

Friday 14 March 2014

I was tired when I woke up because the film had finished late last night.  I did my plank and ate an apple before driving down to the Regiment Fitness session in St Albans.  I had to drive because my time there overlaps with the parking restriction times around here.  The session was being taken by Adam and we started with a running warm up in which I only lost once in the numbers game, getting myself a 10 burpee forfeit.  We had a final push over to the bench before the circuit.  It was an interesting circuit which built on itself, so we stood in a line between the poles and started with 20 repetitions of squats before running up one side of the square, sprinting the next side, and running down the third side to bring us back to being between the poles again.  Then we did more squats and added in 20 press ups; before adding sit ups; then mountaineers; then star jumps; then lying on our backs with our knees bent and tapping our ankles (try it, if you think it is easy); then standing with our legs wide apart, bending over and walking our hands forward to the press up position, doing a press up and walking our hands back until we were standing; then we had a choice of squat jumps or burpees so I did 10 of each.  We had a run over to the bench as a push.  We moved on to boxing in pairs, doing straight arm punches from the standing position, alternating in sets of 10 for 3 minutes, and we got up to 80 punches in that time, before changing to punching upwards from the sitting position with a final burst at 100%, and then back to straight arm punching, alternating in sets of 10 in the squat position for 2 minutes.  Myself and Ian got that a little confused so we had no real idea what we got up to that time around.  Then it was over to the logs and we got into teams of five for sit ups while sitting in a line and holding the log across our chests, culminating in going all the way down, then back up, then half way down and back up ten times.  We were not quite finished with sit ups as we got into pairs for a minute and one of us forced the other back down as they were sitting up.  The warm down felt good in the sun.

I got back to the house and ate some cottage cheese with flaxseed, hemp, chia and maca, and also a tomato.  I need to recover from the training session because I want to get a run in this afternoon.  Change that, I need to get a run in this afternoon – looking at my training plan to take me through to the Paras’ 10, I need to be putting in these runs.  I ate an avocado and drank water and then went out into the sunny weather with my new so I could record the run on Strava.  The run went pretty well although I was running out of energy and feeling dry towards the end, and I was gutted that Strava measured it as slightly shorter than I thought it was.  I should make a point on the time – I am measuring my time from my watch because I start Strava before I start my run, so I can then put it into the holder, and stop it after I have finished my run – so the time from my watch is more accurate.

  1. Plank – 150 seconds
  2. Regiment Fitness – 1 hour
  3. Run (home) – 5.1 miles – 50 minutes 07 seconds

Saturday 15 March 2014

I woke up with a crick in my neck and a pain in the top of the outside of my left thigh, so I decided to hold off on doing anything more until after I had put myself through the Warrior Adrenaline Race training camp.  I ate a bowl of mixed muesli and granola, to which I added flaxseed, hemp, chia and spirulina, drank water, and took my time getting ready now that I only had to get there for around 11.  You can read about the Warrior Adrenaline Race training camp here.

Hold those logs up !

Hold those logs up !

I was not up to doing any more exercise after that so I returned home and ate some cottage cheese, avocado and boiled eggs with flaxseed and maca.

  1. Regiment Fitness – WAR training – 1 hour 30 minutes

Sunday 09 March 2014

I was going to a house gig during the day so I made sure I got out for a run in the morning and did my plank.  You can read about the house gig here.

  1. Run (home) – 2.3 miles – 22 minutes 52 seconds
  2. Plank – 120 seconds

Positives from this week – I am improving my running speed.

This entry was posted in Paras' 10 Colchester May 2014, Summer Fan Dance 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.