And so, covered in goose fat, I set off from Shakespeare’s Cliff, near Dover. I went for my first swim in this challenge after my goal-setting session at the gym. It felt slow. I am also having to get used to the frustrations of the slow, medium and fast lanes, with, for example, people going into the slow lane instead of staying in the general area when they do not want to be swimming continuous lengths. It is not unlike lane discipline on a motorway. Bad lane discipline.
- Swim (St Albans) – 80 x 25 metre lengths – 2000 metres
- Strava – 2125 metres
- Time – 1 hour 12 minutes 56 seconds
- Cumulative – 2000 metres – 1 hour 12 minutes 56 seconds
Swim 2 : Wednesday 03 February 2016
My next session was in the evening after the woman-only session, with a hoard of men waiting by the door as the seconds ticked down so they could invade the pool. Actually, most of the women did not leave at the end of that session, so being in a woman-only session did not appear to be a deciding factor for them. One issue I had was that the staff took out the lane markers towards the end of the session so that they could set up for the next session. I understand the need to do this, but it disrupted my swimming. For that and other reasons, I have already realised that I need to scale down my average laps per hour to 70, which means I will have to increase the amount of time spent in the pool.
- Swim (St Albans) – 68 x 25 metre lengths – 1700 metres
- Strava – 1850 metres
- Time – 57 minutes 17 seconds
- Cumulative – 3700 metres – 2 hours 10 minutes 13 seconds
Swim 3 : Thursday 04 February 2016
I encountered two types of public swimmer during this session – one bombing through, clearly much too fast for the lane he was in, and the other stopping at one end and practicing his kicking. I mean, that was just beyond ludicrous, to be honest.
- Swim (St Albans) – 107 x 25 metre lengths – 2675 metres
- Strava – 2725 metres
- Time – 1 hour 38 minutes 19 seconds
- Cumulative – 6375 metres – 3 hours 48 minutes 32 seconds
Swim 4 : Friday 05 February 2016
- Strava – 2850 metres
- Time – 1 hour 31 minutes 29 seconds
- Cumulative – 9175 metres – 5 hours 20 minutes 01 seconds
Sunday 07 February 2016
Swim 5 did not happen because I messed up. I had fulfilled my weekly quota of lengths and was hoping to add in a few extra over the weekend, but I had not appreciate that the pool was not available to the general public in the evenings at the weekend, so that was an opportunity missed. I need to be doing 350 lengths each week, I finished this one with 376, and I am happy with that.